What Disciples Believe
Like most Christians, Disciples Affirm:
- Jesus Christ is the son of the Living God
- All persons are God's children
Beliefs and practices usually associated with Disciples include:
For more information, please visit the Disciples of Christ website here.
- Open Communion. The Lord's Supper, or Communion, is celebrated in weekly worship. It is open to all who believe in Jesus Christ.
- Freedom of Belief. Disciples are called together around one essential of faith: belief in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Persons are free to follow their consciences guided by the Bible, the Holy Spirit study and prayer, and are expected to extend that freedom to others.
- Baptism by Immersion. In baptism the old self-centered life is set aside, and a new life of trust in God begins. Although Disciples practice baptism by immersion, other baptism traditions are honored.
- Belief in the Oneness of the Church. All Christians are called to be one in Christ and to seek opportunities for common witness and service.
- The Ministry of Believers. Both ministers and lay persons lead in worship, service, and spiritual growth.